Citizen of the Year Award
Citizen Awards - Waimarino-Waiouru and Taumarunui
In August every year, Council calls for nominations for Citizen Awards in the Waimarino-Waiouru and Taumarunui areas (see below for criteria).
The Waimarino-Waiouru Award’s successful recipient is decided upon by the Waimarino-Waiouru Community Board, and presented at the last Council meeting of the year (held in Ohakune).
The Northern Ruapehu Award (encompassing the Ohura, Taumarunui and National Park Wards) comprises a committee of the Ohura Ward Councillor and Chairpersons of Taumarunui Ward Committee and National Park Community Board. The presentation to the successful nominee is made at the Mayor’s Christmas Party held at the Taumarunui Memorial Hall, usually the first Tuesday of December.
Nomination forms for both Waimarino-Waiouru and Northern Ruapehu Citizen Awards will be available here, during the period nominations are open.
For further enquiries please either email Sarah Doyle using the contact form below or by phone on: 07 895 8188 ext 256 (Taumarunui) or 06 385 8364 (Ohakune).
Criteria for Nominees
- Voluntary, unpaid work – going above and beyond the call of duty consistently for no personal gain.
- Significant contribution over an extended period of time – unselfish sacrifice of time and resources.
- Work was for the benefit of the community – participation in a range of activities.
- Work was for the sick, elderly, disadvantaged, youth or any service organisation – unsung hero.
Criterial For the Award
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in the following or subsequent years. Nominations made in previous years are not automatically carried forward and fresh nominations should be made. A Queen’s Honour Award (for example, QSM) for the same activity as the person is nominated for, renders that person ineligible for a civic award.
- Nominations for the Citizens Award will be called for by public notice each year.
- Nominations should be made by two individuals or organisations. All details on the nomination form must be completed.