The purpose of local government is to enable democratic local decision-making and action by, and on behalf of, communities. It is also to promote the social, economic, environmental, and cultural wellbeing of communities, in the present and for the future (Section 10, Local Government Act 2002 - "LGA").
Considering community wellbeing in the present and for the future focuses Council's actions towards sustainable development. By identifying Outcomes, the community has an opportunity to voice a direction and to indicate priorities for the District. In particular, Outcomes provide the framework for Council to target specific activities, projects or issues through the provision of its services.
The LGA recognises that different organisations, individuals and Council must work together to achieve Outcomes.
The Long Term Plan provides information to the community on what Council is doing to promote the achievement of Outcomes that it can influence. This is a different focus than previous where Councils identify all of the Community Outcomes.
Council is only one of a large number of organisations that can assist communities in achieving Outcomes.
Healthy Communities and People
Caring for our People
- That there is access to affordable and effective health and education services.
- That the impact of waste on our environment is minimised.
- That leadership is trusted, transparent, accountable and visionary, and takes an active approach to finding solutions.
Safe and Secure Living
Providing Safe Living
- Core infrastructure (water, wastewater, waste management and minimisation, power, and roading) keeps pace with growth demand.
- Excellent standards of safety and welfare are promoted and respected.
- Zero tolerance to crime and violence.
Thriving and Prosperous Lifestyles
- That our economy prospers.
- That our community provides effective role models, good parenting, career and life skills guidance for youth.
- That employment opportunities for school leavers are encouraged and supported.
- Our transportation and communication is reliable and meets the needs of users.
- That alternative means of energy generation are promoted and available.
- That there is a range of quality retail, entertainment, educational, health care, business and services to retain families and skilled workers to our District.
- That there is a wide range of employment opportunities to encourage growth and provide career progression.
- That economic diversity and core economic strengths are encouraged.
Vibrant and Diverse Living
Providing for Diversity
- That the traditions, values and history of all ethnic groups are understood, embraced, respected, and celebrated.
- That effective activities and facilities for youth are provided.
- That excellence and achievement in sport, arts/cultural pursuits, community service and businesses are supported, recognised and rewarded.
- That people work towards common goals and issues, and speak positively about our community.
- That events and festivals that are within our District are fostered and celebrated.
Our Places - Natural and Beautiful
Caring for our Environment
- That the community works together to ensure that our environment is accessible, clean and safe, and that our water, soil and air meets acceptable, affordable standards.
- That the promotion of our District includes our natural rivers, bush and mountains as well as the built heritage, agriculture and railways.
|Community Engagement Strategy||848kb||View
|Community Outcomes Report 2005||103kb||View