This $7.78m grant has been a catalyst for Council to reconsider the scope of its role in helping to address Ruapehu’s growing housing issues. Currently this is limited to a small number of social housing units. Under our existing ‘Older Persons and Social Housing Policy’ these are restricted to people over 60 years or on an invalids benefit with demand for the units vastly exceeding supply.
The proposed Strategy aims to do this by:
- Kick-starting a change in the market and encouraging housing investment in support of economic growth and community wellbeing.
- Increasing the number, quality and diversity of public and affordable homes built across the District.
- Introducing ‘best practice’ tenancy management practices including:
- extending eligibility criteria and
- developing pathways to home ownership and independence.
- Setting minimum standards of health, safety and energy efficiency for properties in Council’s housing portfolio.
|Consultation opens||Fri 18 Sept|
|Ohakune hui||Thu 24 Sept - 6pm, Council Chamber, Ayr St|
|Taumarunui hui||Mon 5 Oct - 6pm, Miriama Centre, 10 Miriama St (lower Cossie)|
|Raetihi hui||Thu 8 Oct - 6pm, The Centre, 14-16 Seddon St|
|Consultation closes||Fri 16 Oct|
|Hearings||Wed 28 Oct|
|Deliberations and adoption||Wed 18 Nov|