Social and Affordable Housing
Ruapehu is facing growing housing challenges that are impacting on all sectors of our community and across all social and income levels. Not only do we need more housing, but we need better quality housing, that is warm and dry, economical to run, and helps to keep their occupants healthy.
As part of the Government's response to help offset the economic and social impacts of COVID-19 Council has been granted $7.78m* for a Social and Affordable Housing project. (*Subject to negotiation between Council and Crown Infrastructure Partners).
This $7.78m grant has been a catalyst for Council to reconsider the scope of its role in helping to address Ruapehu's growing housing issues. Currently this is limited to a small number of social housing units. Under our existing Older Persons and Social Housing Policy these are restricted to people over 60 years or on an invalids benefit with demand for the units vastly exceeding supply.
Council is proposing to replace our current policy with a new Public and Affordable Housing Asset and Tenancy Management Strategy. If adopted the new strategy will enable Council to utilise the $7.78m grant and our land holdings to support our economic and community development objectives.
The proposed Strategy aims to do this by:
- Kick-starting a change in the market and encouraging housing investment in support of economic growth and community wellbeing.
- Increasing the number, quality and diversity of public and affordable homes built across the District.
- Introducing best practice tenancy management practices including:
- Extending eligibility criteria and
- developing pathways to home ownership and independence.
- Setting minimum standard of health, safety and energy efficiency for properties in Council's housing portfolio.
Council is seeking public feedback on the proposed Public and Affordable Housing Asset and Tenancy Management Strategy. Other constructive thinking on how Council can play a role in helping to address Ruapehu housing issues is welcomed.
For a complete understanding of the proposed new Housing Strategy please see the Consultation Document in the Document Links panel below.
|Consultation opens||Friday 18 September 2020|
|Ohakune hui||Thursday 24 September 2020 - 6pm, Council Chamber, Ayr St|
|Taumarunui hui||Monday 5 October 2020 - 6pm, Miriama Centre, 10 Miriama St (lower Cossie)|
|Raetihi hui||Thursday 8 October 2020 - 6pm, The Centre, 14-16 Seddon St|
|Consultation closes||Friday 16 October 2020|
|Hearings||Wednesday 28 October 2020|
|Deliberations and adoption||Wednesday 18 November 2020|
- ATMS - Public and Affordable Housing Asset and Tenancy Mgmt Strategy, Sept 20 (PDF, 515.4KB)
- Consultation Document New Housing Strategy (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Older persons and social housing policy (PDF, 86.1KB)
- SOCIAL ANDAFFORDABLE HOUSING SUBMISSION BOOK (PDF, 6.3MB)