Waiouru Playground Location Proposal
Why are we consulting on this issue?
This consultation is seeking feedback from the Waiouru community on Council’s recommendation of 38 Queree Drive, Waiouru Military Camp as the preferred location for a new playground out of three shortlisted options.
If you do not support the recommended location we would like to know which of the other two considered options you prefer and why.
Feedback is required by Friday 24 February 2023
Consultation Document and Feedback
- The Consultation Document provides an overview of each shortlisted site including pros/cons, a map and pictures of each location. For more images see the video below.
- A hardcopy Feedback Form is included in the Consultation Document or as a separate document (also see Supporting Documents below).
- These documents can also be picked-up from a Council office.
- Alternatively use the On-line Feedback Form
Background to consultation
Discussions around the community playground project have been on-going over the last three years. These progressed as far as establishing a $130,000* budget along with a Waiouru Playground Steering Committee (formed 2021) to progress the work and settle on a final location. *Following consultant expenses with Stellar Projects Ltd (and Supporting Documents below) the available budget is now $120,000.
Two preferred sites were under original consideration being:
- 17 Rangipo Street. An empty section on Police property behind the public toilets and Caltex Truck Stop
- 49/2 SH49. Reserve area behind Waiouru Police station – between SH49 and SH1
A third site on New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) land was then put forward for consideration being:
- 38 Queree Drive, Waiouru Military Camp
Following discussions with the NZDF the Steering Committee voted unanimously in support of 38 Queree Drive over and above the other two sites.
The Steering Committee recommendation of 38 Queree Drive was taken to the Waimarino Waiouru Community Board (WWCB) meeting of 5 May 2022 for ratification and allow development planning to commence for construction in spring.
Public objections that the wider community had not been consulted on the Queree Drive location saw the WWCB ask Council to undertake this consultation.
Video of location options
This video provides images of each location. Please watch with the support of the Consultation Document and other information material (see Supporting Documents below)