​​​​​Local Government Elections are held every three years on the second Saturday in October.  The next local government elections will be held in 2019.

Who can vote or stand for election?

You must be over 18 years old, be a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident and enrolled on the parliamentary electoral roll to vote or stand for election.

To vote in the Ruapehu District local government elections you must be registered to do so.

How do I know if I'm enrolled?

Ruapehu District Residents

If you’re a resident of the Ruapehu District and are already enrolled on the parliamentary electoral roll for the general election, you are automatically enrolled to vote in the local government elections.

To enrol or check your details on the electoral roll:

  • Complete the appropriate form at any Postshop; or
  • Telephone 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 367 656); or
  • Access the Electoral Commission's website and enrol or check/update your details online.

Ratepayer Electors

If you own property in the Ruapehu District and your name is listed on the rates notice (but your normal place of residence is outside the District), you may qualify to have a vote as a ratepayer elector (one vote per property).  A company or society paying property rates can also qualify as a ratepayer elector.

See Ratepayer Enrolment Entitlements Flowchart below to check if you are eligible

Page reviewed: 25 Jun 2019 3:12pm