Mon 18 Feb 19.
Council halts roadside mowing while fire danger high
With Ruapehu moving to a Restricted Fire Season as of today (Monday 18 February) all roadside mowing has been put on hold temporarily until the fire danger reduces.
Ruapehu Land Transport Team Leader Andrea Nicol said that like the rest of NZ the district was very dry and we need to be extra cautious during these extreme conditions.
“We have now had a long period without significant rain and the abundant vegetation that took off during spring has now dried off,” she said.
“These very dry conditions increase the chance of a single spark creating a fire that could very quickly get out of control.
The halt on roadside mowing will stay in place until the fire risk drops which isn’t expected for another two to four weeks.”
Ms Nicol noted that the major fire in Nelson that has seen people evacuated from their homes and a large scrub fire last week a lot closer to home in Mangakino were both thought to have been started by machinery.
“Fire bans and restrictions are in place throughout the country and Fire and Emergency NZ (FENZ) is pleading with Kiwis to be vigilant during the extreme conditions.
People should also be aware that all Department of Conservation (DoC) land which makes up a large part of Ruapehu has a permanent fire restriction in place.
Anyone lighting a fire within 1km of DoC land needs to contact the DoC area office for a permit while outside of these areas people should first check the FENZ website www.checkitsalright.nz “