Phase 1 (complete).
- Realignment of kerb and channel and parking to the front and surrounds of Railway Stn building.
- Removing the angle parking lot to the left of the station,
- Moving the bus bay from the front of the building to slightly further to the south and
- Creating angle parking to replace those parks removed to allow for the landscaping works.
- These road works will allow the development of new entrances and access to the new tourism hub and to integrate the station building to the landscape and gardens.
In planning this work Council has been coordinating with other infrastructure providers to undertake planned upgrades of assets such as water and wastewater mains, power and telecommunications to help minimise any potential future disruption.
Landscaping and road works of the area from the existing toilet to the Railway Station. This is also planned as a three month project from October to December.
Starting in February 2019 this will see the development of the Civic Space covering the area from the existing gardens to the old library site and public toilets. Scheduled for completion in May 2019.
Refurbishment of the railway Station building including a community museum and tourism hub.
A video on the concept plan for this can be viewed below.
Work on the shop verandahs and earthquake prone buildings.
The details including the start time of Phases 4 and 5 are still be worked on by Council with affected parties.
For more detail please see the Work Phases map in the document links panel at the bottom of this page.
Taumarunui Northern Entrance
In addition to the revitalisation projects in the CBD along Hakiaha St Council has been bringing forward other projects around town. The northern entrance reserve is an example of this.
Railway Station and Museum
This video shows the proposed concept plans for the Railway Station including the community museum and tourism hub.
Adopted Plans August 2018
Hakiaha St Developed Concept Design inc. public and TOWC input. Aug 17
Hakiaha St_3D views-Developed Concept Design-Aug 17
Public Feedback on the Bespoke Plans
Taumarunui Concept Proposal Plans Dec 16
Taumarunui Gateway Visioning Document (R) Nov 13
Taumarunui Railway Stn concepts 3D, Dec 2017
Taumarunui revitalisation timeline Sept 16 - Sept 17
Taumarunui Town Centre_Verandahs_concept-70619
Taumarunui township meeting notes Mon 5 Sept 16
Toilet Concept Design Challenge inc. Terms and Conditions - Sept 17
Work Phases Aug 18