Building Services & Information

​​​​​​​​​All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code and the Council's District Plan whether or not it is exempt from a Building Consent.​

When is a Building Consent Required?​

  • A Building Consent is required for most building work. 
  • Additions/Alterations (contact a Building Control Officer with reference to minor alteration work).
  • Structural building (including new buildings).
  • Plumbing an​d Drainage work.
  • Decking over 1.5m high.
  • Installation or modification of a specified system (e.g. fire alarms, automatic doors, emergency lighting, automatic backflow preventers, etc.).
  • Change of Use.
  • Demolition (in some instances - check Building Consent Exemptions)
  • Relocation of pre-built structures/dwellings
  • Heating including fireplaces, ventilation and air-conditioning systems. 

Fees and Charges can be found here.​​

Building Consents are now online

Council has introduced the Simpli portal for customers to apply and track their building consents. This allows anyone applying for a building consent to submit, manage, and track their building consents from the beginning through to the end of the process.​

For info on getting started see  'Apply online for a Building Consent'

If you have already registered apply on the Simpli portal 

Information on downloading the GoBuild App is available here
Page reviewed: 23 Apr 2021 2:19pm