Ohakune Plumbing Offer
Every day the Ohakune drinking water network typically loses around 720m3 (720,000 litres) of water above what should be normal household and commercial usage. Dripping taps, dripping showerheads, and leaky toilets and troughs, etc. all contribute to water being wasted.
Limiting this excess water loss is critical to Ohakune if we are going to manage the impact of climate change, respond to future demand growth, and avoid disruption such as outages and boil water notices.
As it will be the combination of lots of individual measures that will make the big difference to stemming water losses Ohakune households and businesses have an important role to play.
Council has engaged a local registered plumber to fix small leaks such as dripping taps, showerheads, and leaky toilets, etc. up to the value of $200 per job (total amount available 100 jobs or $20,000).
The plumbing offer is part of a leak reduction program Council is undertaking with our water contractor Veolia to build resilience into the drinking water network. In addition to the $200 plumbing offer we are undertaking steps to collect better measurement data on water losses and working with commercial users to locate and fix leaks.
Benefits of the $200 plumbing offer
Leaks and drips can waste a lot of water and fixing them can make a meaningful difference to water wastage. By paying for up to $200 of plumbing work we hope to remove any financial barriers people may have to fixing their dripping taps and showerheads, leaky toilets and pipes.
If we can save 20m3 (20,000 litres) per hour we can:
- Remain within our Resource Consent water take limit of 2,500m3 per day
- Allow for population growth of around 1,200 people without needing to undertake plant upgrades. Sub-divisions are pending that are potentially being held up due to water capacity issues. This is important in respect to helping to alleviate pressure of Ohakune's housing problems.
- We can potentially avoid boil water notices. Saving water takes pressure off our plant and reservoir which goes into deficit in times of high usage and high turbidity during adverse weather events.
How to make use of the $200 offer - Terms and Conditions
- To make use of the offer all households/businesses need do is call Council on 06 385 8364 or drop-by the Ohakune office at 37 Ayr St to register their plumbing job.
- The offer is limited to the fixing of leaks, drips and other water loss issues affecting Ruapehu District Council’s Ohakune reticulated drinking water network only,
- All jobs to a maximum value of $200 per job per household or business,
- Offer only available via Ruapehu District Council and Council’s approved supplier.
- Maximum total of 100 jobs or $20,000 available.
- First in first served.