The Rates Rebate Scheme was established by the Government in 1973 to provide a subsidy to low-income homeowners on the cost of their rates (see The Rates Rebate Act 1973 for more information). Local councils administer the scheme and are reimbursed by the government for all rate rebates.
The maximum rebate for this rating year is $620. You can apply for a rebate for the current rating year only. Applications close on 30 June every year and cannot be accepted after this date.
You must be the legal ratepayer for the property that was your home on 1 July of the rating year you are claiming and your name must be recorded in the Rating Information Database (RID) as the ratepayer.
Note: You cannot claim a rates rebate for the rates payable on a property that is used principally for business, farming, commercial or industrial purposes, or a home that is not your usual place of residence.
The income eligibility for a rebate is $24,790. However, each application is judged against criteria set by the Government and although a ratepayer's income might exceed the income threshold, a rates rebate could still be available depending on the rates amount and number of dependants.
See the example tables or use the electronic calculator on the Department of Internal Affairs website to see if you could be eligible.
When Applying for a Rates Rebate You Will Need:
- Your Ruapehu District Council rates for 2017/18 (Horizons Regional Council rates for 2017/18 may also be included).
- Satisfactory proof of your income for the tax year 1 April 2016 to 31 March 2017.
Satisfactory proof includes income confirmation from one or more of the following depending on your circumstances:
- Inland Revenue Department.
- Work and Income NZ benefits and supplements e.g. accommodation supplement.
- Investment earning statements.
- Statement of Earnings from your employer or, for self employed people, a personal tax summary or complete set of business accounts.
The 2017/18 Rates Rebate Application Form is available from all of our Council Offices.
For more information, or if you are having difficulty filling out the application, please contact Council.
The Rates Rebate amount will be credited to your rates account once your application is processed and approved. Please note that you are required to pay your rates account as normal.