New kerbside pick-up day for some townships.
With the introduction of this service some households will have a new kerbside collection day
. See Kerbside collection
to confirm if your day has changed.
How it works.
- When your compostable liner is full put it in your kerbside organics collection bin. You can also put food scraps directly into your kerbside bin without it being in a compostable liner bag.
- Put your kerbside organics collection out on the same day* as your pink rubbish bag and blue bin recycling for collection. (*except for Waiouru)
- Please note that there are two different trucks that come on collection day. One for your food scraps and another for your recyling and rubbish. The trucks come at different times and may be some hours apart.
What can I put in my food waste bin?
Anything organic can go in your food waste bin.
- Food scraps
- Meat, skin and bones
- Fish and sea shells
- Coffee grounds and tea bags
- Kitchen paper towels (not wet wipes)
- Dirt, oil stain papr and cardboard e.g. pizza boxes
Please avoid contamination.
- Only use the proper Council supplied compostable bags in your kitchen bin.
- You can put your food scraps, etc directly into your kerbside bin without a compostable bag if needed.
- Watch out for plastics such as fruit stickers. These must go in your rubbish.
Not on kerbside collection? - 30% off Compost Bin/Worm Farm offer
In association with Mitre10 Taumarunui Council is offering the opportunity to purchase a compost bin or worm farm of your choice for 30% off.
NOTE: This offer is only available to rural households not on kerbside collection who are not receiving the new kerbside food scrap collection service.
To take advantage of this offer download and complete the Offer Form and take into Mitre10 Taumarunui. You can also buy online via mitre10.co.nz.
For more info on composting see the composting webpage under Waste Minimisation.