Food Waste and Organics Collection
The kerbside food waste and organics collection service can save whanau a lot money by reducing the number of pink rubbish bags they need to buy. As well as saving you money the collected food waste is turned into high grade compost in our very own Hot Composting Unit which is great for our parks and reserves and the environment.
How it works
- When your compostable liner is full put it in your kerbside organics collection bin. You can also put food scraps directly into your kerbside bin without it being in a compostable liner bag.
- Put your kerbside organics collection out on the same day* as your pink rubbish bag and blue bin recycling for collection. *Except for Waiouru.
- Please note that there are two different trucks that come on collection day, one for your food scraps and another for your recycling and rubbish. The trucks come at different times and may be some hours apart.
What can I put in my food waste bin?
Anything organic can go in your food waste bin.
- Food scraps.
- Meat, skin and bones.
- Fish and sea shells.
- Coffee grounds and tea bags.
- Kitchen paper towels (not wet wipes).
- Dirt, oil stain paper and cardboard e.g. pizza boxes.
If you are still unsure whether your item is suitable for your food waste bin, scroll down and use the handy sorter app on the Zero Waste Ruapehu website.
Please avoid contamination.
- Only use the proper Council supplied compostable bags in your kitchen bin.
- You can put your food scraps, etc. directly into your kerbside bin without a compostable bag if needed.
- Watch out for plastics such as fruit stickers. These must go in your rubbish.
Not on kerbside collection?
We run compost and worm farming workshops where you can make an upcycled wheelie bin worm farm for FREE. Contact Emily for more information 027 203 1247 or email HERE.
For more info on composting see the composting webpage under Waste Minimisation.
New kerbside pick-up day for some townships.
With the introduction of this service some households will have a new kerbside collection day. See Kerbside Collection to confirm if your day has changed.