Building Services & Information
All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code and the Council's District Plan whether or not it is exempt from a Building Consent.
Council encourages people to talk with our building team before you start your project. This is the best way to ensure things go smoothly and are right the first time, saving time and money.
Building Consent Acceptance Schedule - Christmas/ New Year 2022-23
Any Building (and Resource) Consents submitted after Tuesday 20 December 2022 will not start to be processed until Tuesday 11 January 2023 due to the Christmas/ New Year break.
If you want your Building and/or Resource Consent to be processed before Christmas (barring any further information requests which stop the working day processing clock), it needs to be submitted by no later than Monday 21 November 2022.
Further information can be found on THIS document.
When is a Building Consent Required?
- A Building Consent is required for most building work.
- Additions/Alterations (contact a Building Control Officer with reference to minor alteration work).
- Structural building (including new buildings).
- Plumbing and Drainage work.
- Decking over 1.5m high.
- Installation or modification of a specified system (e.g. fire alarms, automatic doors, emergency lighting, automatic backflow preventers, etc.).
- Change of Use.
- Demolition (in some instances - check Building Consent Exemptions).
- Relocation of pre-built structures/dwellings.
- Heating including fireplaces, ventilation and air-conditioning systems.
For more information on whether a Building Consent is required, check the Can I Build It? website
Fees and Charges can be found here.
Building Consents are now online
Council has introduced the Simpli portal for customers to apply and track their building consents. This allows anyone applying for a building consent to submit, manage, and track their building consents from the beginning through to the end of the process.
For info on getting started see 'Apply online for a Building Consent'
If you have already registered apply on the Simpli portal
Information on downloading the GoBuild App is available here
- Building Consent Exemptions 2020
- Building Control and Consent Guide
- Building Guide 2019
- Certificates of Acceptance
- Fencing of Swimming Pools
- GoBuild App Information
- Things to know regarding tiny homes
- Transportable Accommodation
- When is a structure a vehicle or building MBIE
Building related brochures
Building related forms